As Sacks Morasha we prioritise early reading. We aim for all our children to become fluent, confident readers who are passionate about reading. We teach reading through a systematic synthetic phonics scheme called Little Wandle Letters and Sounds.
We ensure phonics is taught daily from Reception to Year 2, to the highest standard and all staff in Reception and Year 1 are fully trained Phonics leaders. We believe that our outstanding phonics practice and learning rests of seven features. These are:
- direct teaching in frequent, short bursts
- consistency of approach
- secure, systematic progression in phonics learning
- maintaining pace of learning
- providing repeated practice
- application of phonics using matched decodable books
- early identification of children at risk of falling behind, linked to the provision of effective keep-up support.
To ensure we instil a love of reading across the school, every class has an age appropriate range of books for children to access throughout the day. Children in Reception and Key Stage 1 take home decodable books twice a week so children can be further supported by parents/guardians and provides another opportunity to practice and apply phonic knowledge. In Year 1 children will also do the Phonic Screening Test which assesses their phonic knowledge and ability to apply sounds to read both real and alien (pseudo) words. In Year 2 children then move onto learning spelling patterns and rules.
Please click the links below for more information about our phonics scheme.